by Herbert J. Kellner
Training departments are asked more than ever to deliver high-quality programs for less money. People are used to see the best on TV, and movies are nowadays produced with incredible special effects.
The customers of training departments developed a Hollywood mentality; that means they expect Hollywood quality but are not willing to pay for it. This puts producers into a very difficult situation. They have to look for the best tools in the market to enhance the look of their videos.
This is where FxFactory from Noise Industries comes in. FxFactory is a free distribution platform (like iTunes) for all Noise Industries plug-ins, and “FxFactory Pro” is a product (like a song) that can be purchased. This is a great concept, because it alows you to use free effects and trial versions of commercial effects. No purchase required to use free products. Commercial products can be purchased and unlocked as needed.
We checked the value of this plug-in program for training departments and came to the conclusion that this visual effects package would fit into most media productions. The reasons are:
- Many training departments already have the hardware to use FxFactory.
- Noise Industries has a detailed list of compatible and incompatible graphics cards on their website.
- The latest version of FxFactory Pro 6.0 includes 176 filters, generators and transitions for FinalCut Pro 7, Motion and Adobe AfterEffects. The Final Cut Pro X package includes 149 effects.
- The previewing and rendering speed is outstanding, because all the effects are hardware accelerated. The plug-ins come with many built-in presets. This time-saving feature is definitely appreciated by many editors.
- The program allows for experimentation and the creation of custom-tailored presets. FxFactory Pro is the first visual effects package that lets you customize and create your own plug-ins for FinalCut Studio, FinalCut Express, and Adobe AfterEffects without writing a single line of code. That means everybody can now build plug-ins that are specific to projects.
But there’s a lot more. One of the major benefits is that a single user license to FxFactory Pro unlocks the effects not only in FinalCut Pro, but also in Motion, FinalCut Express and Adobe AfterEffects.
The interface is very user-friendly. It allows to preview all the effects as thumbnails and to make quick decisions which one to implement or skip.
The training experts may actually like the fact that the Noise Industry’s website provides very helpful instructional videos.
And the best of all: For just $399.99 you not only get a workhorse but also a racehorse. The quality of the effects and the rendering speed of FxFactory Pro are just outstanding. This program is a dream come true for many producers in training departments.
EchoRemover™: Plugin for removing echo from your audio
We recorded an interview in a hollow-sounding room. It sounded really bad and we had no chance to rerecord it. We looked for a tool that could remove the echo and found one in FxFactory. The plugin is called EchoRemover™ by CrumplePop. This plugin worked like a charm and removed all the echo from our audio – right inside Final Cut Pro X. It turned an unusable interview into a professional recorded video. This really rescued our production guys and made a customer happy. This plugin belongs into every producers toolbox. The price is only $99 and it pays for its self the first time you screw up your audio like we did.