Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1 is the easiest way to learn both the fundamentals and advanced features of the new Sony EX1 camcorder and its state-of-the-art tapeless workflow. Vortex Media is a pioneer in innovative video-based training for video professionals. Among its assets, Vortex Media enjoys a strategic partnership with Sony.
Doug Jensen, the owner of Vortex Media and the presenter in the DVD training program “Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1”, is an experienced cameraman, producer, director and editor. Over the last 25 years, he also worked as a consultant and trainer. He is a member of Sony’s Independent Certified Experts (I.C.E.) team. Doug taught high definition XDCAM classes for Sony at NAB as well as workshops and seminars in Hollywood, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Japan. In 2007, Sony hired him to shoot demo footage with a preproduction EX1 camcorder and to operate the camera during field tests, conducted by Discovery Communications.
It’s easy to see why Doug Jensen is the most qualified person to produce a complete DVD guide and training program for mastering the Sony PMW-EX1 camcorder and the XDCAM EX workflow. This three-hour, two-disc video-based workshop includes 19 well-structured tutorials with step-by-step examples. Doug presents the most important aspects of camera setup, menus, shooting techniques, clip naming, file management, clip importing, picture profile settings, basic editing and even archiving. During the three hours of presentations, you will learn all the necessary techniques through real-world scenarios that will save you long hours of experimenting and frustrations from mediocre results. The DVD set is not only for relatively inexperienced videographers, but also for experienced professionals who want to jump into high definition production and the tapeless workflow.
- Clip naming suggestions that will avoid disaster in post
- How to archive 2 copies of all clips for less than $.65/GB
- Tips for setting exposure accurately
- Suggested Picture Profile settings
- Suggested focusing techniques
- Recommended settings for the Assign Buttons
- Suggestions for time-code settings
- Warnings about some features and settings to avoid
- B&W vs. Color viewfinder settings
- Suggested Shutter Speeds for various recording modes
- Tips for better looking Time-lapse clips Recording slow-motion
- Deleting clips on-the-fly
- Splitting clips
- Getting a perfect white balance
- Monitoring options for the EX1
- Managing storage space on the memory cards
- Importing clips into your computer
- Managing clips, making back-up copies, and archiving
- XDCAM Transfer overview settings
- Comparisons of various shooting modes
- Step-by-step instructions for import and archive
During each chapter of the program, you will gain more confidence in handling a complex camcorder with outstanding features. After finishing this video workshop, you will be able to shoot footage, even for demanding projects, with excellent results.
2. Overview of the EX1
3. Navigating the Menus
4. Choosing a Video Format
5. Controlling Exposure
6. Focusing Techniques
7. Audio Recording
10. Assign Buttons
11. Slow Motion & Special FX
12. White Balance
13. Picture Profiles
14. Playback & Clip Operations
15. Clip Browser
16. Backups & Archiving
17. Clip Importing
18. Sony Vegas
19. FCP & XDCAM Transfer
20. Editing HD vs. SD
3 hours / 2 DVDs in NTSC / English, Price: $125
As training and learning experts we came to the conclusion that this DVD program meets all the requirements of a high-quality learning tool. In most cases, it will be more effective than classroom training, because you are not locked into the average learning tempo of a class, where usually the slower learners dominate the pace. Doug Jensen is the best teacher you can find for your journey of mastering the Sony PMW-EX1, because you can rewind him as often as you want, and he will never lose his patience. This instructional DVD workshop will pay for itself many times over by giving you not only the essentials, but also invaluable expert advice you can put into practice immediately.
About VORTEX MEDIA
Vortex Media is the source for innovative camera accessories and instructional DVDs for videography, television production and digital photography. The company only sells products that have been developed, produced, and created by Vortex Media.For more information, visit www.VortexMedia.com.